- Hermione Granger: “What are the three most crucial ingredients in a Forgetfulness Potion?“
- Ronald Weasley: “I forgot.“
- — Ron and Hermione studying for their final exams.[src]
The Forgetfulness Potion is a potion which causes an unknown degree of memory loss in the drinker. The recipe for this potion can be found in Magical Drafts and Potions; its key ingredients include Lethe River Water, mistletoe berries, and Valerian sprigs.
Since this potion was of beginner’s level, Professor Severus Snape had his first year students brew this potion for their final exam in 1992.
- Add 2 drops of Lethe River Water to your cauldron
- Gently heat for 20 seconds
- Add 2 Valerian sprigs to your cauldron
- Stir 3 times, clockwise
- Wave your wand
- Leave to brew and return in 45-60 minutes
- Add 2 measures of Standard Ingredient to the mortar
- Add 4 mistletoe berries to the mortar
- Crush into a medium-fine powder using the pestle
- Add 2 pinches of the crushed mixture to your cauldron
- Stir 5 times, anti-clockwise
- Wave your wand to complete the potion
Behind the Scenes
Given that every potion’s brewing process must include a magical component to complete it, the most likely spell to complete this potion’s brewing process is a Memory Charm.